Monday, October 27, 2008

Talk To Your Parents About Voting for Obama

I don't know if its just my bias or what, but the Obama campaign seems to do a lot of creepy things, especially involving children in their campaign. Kids are going to get involved because of their parents, but the Obama campaign really seems to be trying to harness kids.

Talk to your parents, change the world

Are you sure if your parents are voting for Obama?

If not, you may be the only person who can convince them. If you haven’t already, it’s time for you to have “The Talk” with your parents and other family members.

And tell all your friends to do the same!


If I had kids the last thing I would want to hear coming from them is why I should be voting for Obama.

Do’s & Don’ts

Do share your personal reasons for voting for Barack Obama;
Do have confidence -- your opinion matters to people who care about you;
Do read up on Barack’s positions on the issues you know matter to them;
Do find a good time when both you and they will be open to a conversation;
Do talk to them in person if you live nearby, or on the phone if you don’t;
Do ask your friends to talk to their parents and grandparents as well;
Don’t worry about knowing everything about policy positions before you have this conversation;
Don’t feel defensive. Stay calm, cool and collected;
Don’t wait until the last minute -- it might take a few conversations for you to convince them, so start as early as possible;
Don’t catch them at a bad time -- make sure you have their attention and enough time to have a conversation.


What could be worse than having the kids trying to convince you to vote Obama? Having them trying to convince you on more than one occasion.

Ideas to Get the Conversation Started
Approaching your parents about who they are voting for can be intimidating if you’ve never talked about politics with them before. But this campaign has been built by supporters sharing their stories about what inspires them and why they want to see change in this country. Here are some ideas for ways you can talk to your parents about why you support Barack:

Call or ask in person if they saw the debate and what they thought about it.
Tell them why you are voting for Obama and why it’s important to you.
Print out for them information on some issues you know are important.
Share Barack's speech from the Democratic National Convention or Meet Barack, a video about who Barack Obama is, where he comes from, and what his values are.
Email them and tell them why it's important to you that they vote for Obama.
Think about their perspective. If they are Republican, or are concerned about Barack’s policies, think about where they are coming from and what makes them think the way that they do.


I'm at work so I can't watch the video, I'll check it out when I get home, but I'll include it here - I'm sure its... great.

1 comment:

Jack West said...

Here's something else that's really creepy:
http://obamamessiah.blogspot.com/

I have this listed as one the More Than 100 Reasons to Vote Against Barack Obama":

http://frwest.blogspot.com/2008/09/more-than-100-reasons-to-vote-against.html

Fr. Peter West

About Me

My photo
Catholic and politically conservative, I graduated with a BA in History (concentration in American) and Political Science. I'm between two parishes; one in Wisconsin that is fairly traditional, and one in Illinois that is fairly liberal. I teach CCD. I work in the food service industry, which basically means I'm working in fast food until I find a better job. I'd like to work for the church somehow. Right now I'm working on getting my teaching certification, although I'm unsure thats the correct path for me. This blog is as random as I am. I hope you enjoy.