Monday, May 28, 2007

Memorial Day

I was putting off doing a Memorial Day Tribute because I didn't know what to say or do. I'm not very eloquent, I wasn't able to attend any celebrations today, I don't know anyone in the service or who was in the service. I don't know what to say. But it occurred to me, that as I read the news from around the world: Women Gang-Raped in Darfur, Venezuelan Government Shuts Down Independent TV Station, rockets fired at Israel and so many other stories that its the sacrifices of so many men and women that keep that from happening here. Its their sacrifice that allows me to go to work and not have to worry that I'll be attacked by roving bands of terrorists, and their sacrifice that allows me to turn on my TV and get the news and see the opinions I want, and allows me to go to church without fear of reprisals. What better tribute is there to those untold numbers who have sacrificed so much than the freedom of 300 million people?

Its my hope that on this day every single one of those 300 million took a moment to truly appreciate the freedom that we enjoy.

God bless them all.

1 comment:

Scott M. Frey said...

excellent, I know I enjoy my freedoms every day! I am truly grateful to those hwo have served and who still serve,a nd all their families

About Me

My photo
Catholic and politically conservative, I graduated with a BA in History (concentration in American) and Political Science. I'm between two parishes; one in Wisconsin that is fairly traditional, and one in Illinois that is fairly liberal. I teach CCD. I work in the food service industry, which basically means I'm working in fast food until I find a better job. I'd like to work for the church somehow. Right now I'm working on getting my teaching certification, although I'm unsure thats the correct path for me. This blog is as random as I am. I hope you enjoy.