Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Bush Takes the Hand of Byrd


President Bush, left, walks with Sen. Robert Byrd, D-W.V., center and Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid of Nev. in the Capitol Rotunda in Washington, Thursday, March 29, 2007, during a ceremony awarding the Tuskegee Airmen with Congressional Gold Medals. (AP Photo/Susan Walsh)

I read about this picture at The Hinzsight Report.

So why then did this President take the time and trouble to take the hand of his political enemy, a man who has said, “We have heard a lot about revisionist history from the White House of late in answer to those who question whether there was a real threat from Iraq. But, it is the President who appears to me to be intent on revising history.”

Why would this President show such deference and respect to a man who has suggested that he, the President, has been guilty of impeachable offenses?

The answer is as simple as the humility of this President. He took the hand of Robert Byrd, to help him into his seat, because Byrd is approaching 90 years of age, and this President is respectful of his elders. He took his hand because he needed help, and this President is not the type of person to turn his back on a fellow human being in need. He took his hand as an act of friendship, because this President does not take his politics personally. He understands that his political enemies are not his personal enemies.

3 comments:

EC Gefroh said...

Very, very touching! It shows the quality of the man.

Anonymous said...

wow, very cool.
I hadn't seen that picture until just now. thanx for the post.

Anonymous said...

Just as I have always seen him. I think too that Byrd sees it as well and the picture depicts that.

Wilson

About Me

My photo
Catholic and politically conservative, I graduated with a BA in History (concentration in American) and Political Science. I'm between two parishes; one in Wisconsin that is fairly traditional, and one in Illinois that is fairly liberal. I teach CCD. I work in the food service industry, which basically means I'm working in fast food until I find a better job. I'd like to work for the church somehow. Right now I'm working on getting my teaching certification, although I'm unsure thats the correct path for me. This blog is as random as I am. I hope you enjoy.