Monday, October 30, 2006

Life Chain

Yesterday from 2 - 3pm was a life chain on 52nd St. We got there about 5 - 10 minutes early and I was worried because there didn't seem to be a lot of people there. But as we picked up our signs more people came, and more and more came as we got ready. I'd say we had around 65 people, maybe more I'm not sure how many for sure. 52nd street which it was held on is a very busy street, so plenty of people got to see our signs. I was happy to see a couple of the local priests join the chain.

We got a wide range of response from honking, thumbs up and down, the finger, shouting, and various other hand gestures that were confusing. Amusingly the people who shouted at us would try to be clever and shout a long phrase at us, but we could never hear the whole thing so we have no idea what they were saying. For example I heard " ---- ----- ---- your brother!", I have no idea what that one was about. I think some people would drive in a way to intimidate you like they would speed up as they went past you and would drive very close to the curb as they did.

I spent half of the time on one side of the street, then it got too crowded and we walked to the other side where there was less of us. I got to stand next to the one priest (the one in the pictures). It was just my impression, but I found that people responded a lot to the priests being there. It seemed like to me that more people gestured, honked, or what-have-you more at the priest than anyone else. People walking down the street would come up and shake his hand, which I thought was pretty neat.








3 comments:

EC Gefroh said...

That is wonderful! Great photos too. Good to see priests holding signs.

Anonymous said...

How awesome! And to be joined by a Priest is an extra blessing.

I would hope we would have a turnout of that size here in G.R.
Maybe it's time to find out.

Also - I totally dig your blog! I posted a link to it, sister :)
Being a solid Catholic, and proud conservative - I think we're on the same page, lol.

Anyhoo... God bless!

catholicandgop said...

It was a really neat experience, and I was really glad that the two priests came. They were two of the ones that did a Eucharistic procession a couple weeks ago.

Grand Rapids is a lot bigger than Kenosha, I'm sure you'd get a good turnout. :D

Hey thanks, I remember you from phatmass. :) I added you to my links list.

About Me

My photo
Catholic and politically conservative, I graduated with a BA in History (concentration in American) and Political Science. I'm between two parishes; one in Wisconsin that is fairly traditional, and one in Illinois that is fairly liberal. I teach CCD. I work in the food service industry, which basically means I'm working in fast food until I find a better job. I'd like to work for the church somehow. Right now I'm working on getting my teaching certification, although I'm unsure thats the correct path for me. This blog is as random as I am. I hope you enjoy.