Friday, September 08, 2006

Well, I'm Bitter...

Last day for Marshall Field's

The Associated Press
Published September 8, 2006, 7:48 AM CDT

Shoppers wanting to buy that one last pair of shoes or bottle of perfume from Marshall Field's will have to do it today.

Starting tomorrow, all 61 outlets of the celebrated department store will be known as Macy's.

Federated bought the May Department Stores last year and announced that it would drop the Field's name in favor of Macy's.

Many Chicagoans view the change as an affront to a city tradition.

To change the tide of opinion, Federated said this week that it would launch a massive promotional campaign.

Federated also plans a series of improvements, including: new brands, boutiques and shops; refurbishments to the store's interior and exterior; and a fresh-foods market concept still being developed for the lower level.

Still, several Field's fans are planning to protest today outside of the State Street Field's store.

Source

I don't plan to shop there.

3 comments:

EC Gefroh said...

I know how you feel. The same thing happened here to Liberty House. Now it is Macy's.

catholicandgop said...

Poll on the Chicago Tribune's website about it -

---

Will a name change at Field's make a difference to you?

89.3%
Yes (31586 responses)

10.7%
No (3792 responses)

35378 total responses
(Poll results not scientific)

If so, would it make you more or less likely to shop there?

3.7%
More (1218 responses)

96.3%
Less (31495 responses)

32713 total responses
(Poll results not scientific)

(New question:) When did you last shop at Field's?

27.2%
Within the last week (7810 responses)

39.0%
Within the last month (11179 responses)

23.7%
Within the last year (6788 responses)

10.1%
More than a year ago (2896 responses)

28673 total responses
(Poll results not scientific)

EC Gefroh said...

Hmmm. They should have polled prior to their deciision. Or did they?

About Me

My photo
Catholic and politically conservative, I graduated with a BA in History (concentration in American) and Political Science. I'm between two parishes; one in Wisconsin that is fairly traditional, and one in Illinois that is fairly liberal. I teach CCD. I work in the food service industry, which basically means I'm working in fast food until I find a better job. I'd like to work for the church somehow. Right now I'm working on getting my teaching certification, although I'm unsure thats the correct path for me. This blog is as random as I am. I hope you enjoy.