Tuesday, August 22, 2006

RCIA 2

I've promised to write out how we found out about my Dad taking RCIA, so I will do that now. The names have been removed to protect the innocent LOL.

I was sitting around the house playing Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion when the phone rang. I was the only one at home as my Dad and brother were at work and Mom and sister were in Wisconsin. I went to answer it and was surprised to see that it was our parish calling. I answered and it was Fr. -. He said hello and asked for my Dad's work number. I had to go get it off my cellphone downstairs so I went and got it and that was that.

After I hung up it struck me as very strange that a priest would call and ask for my Dad the non-Catholic. I got a little worried, especially since we have several elderly relatives. I couldn't figure on why he would be calling him. So I gave my sister a ring and mentioned to them that Fr. - had called and wanted Dad's work number. They started to worry. Just before Fr. - had called my Grandfather's caretaker had called to talk to my Mom, so I mentioned that as well. In hindsight I probably shouldn't have because it unnecessarily connected the two in Mom's mind. I only mentioned it because if I didn't then I would likely forget. She began to worry. I said that I would give it a few minutes then call Dad at work to find out what was going on.

I waited a few and gave dad a ring but there was no answer. Mom and sister called back and I said that I hadn't gotten in touch with him yet. They were much more concerned then they were when I had last spoken to them. I again said that I would give it a couple more minutes then I would call him again.

I waited a few more and called him and again except this time on his cellphone. He answered and my greeting was, 'whats going on?'. He said he would call me back in a few. 2 minutes later I got another call back. I told him we were all concerned about what was going on, he said he would talk about it that night and that everything was ok. At this point I began to suspect what was going on. Ok, I called my sister back and told them he would say tonight. Still concerned and not wanting to take tonight as an answer they called him directly and found out. He then called me back and told me since the cat was already out of the bag.

I feel badly that I sort of ruined his surprise. But its not an every day occurance that a priest calls your house, especially asking for the non-Catholic.

The End.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Catholic and politically conservative, I graduated with a BA in History (concentration in American) and Political Science. I'm between two parishes; one in Wisconsin that is fairly traditional, and one in Illinois that is fairly liberal. I teach CCD. I work in the food service industry, which basically means I'm working in fast food until I find a better job. I'd like to work for the church somehow. Right now I'm working on getting my teaching certification, although I'm unsure thats the correct path for me. This blog is as random as I am. I hope you enjoy.