Wednesday, February 04, 2009

Holy Name on Fire!


Fire at Holy Name Cathedral
February 4, 2009 6:50 AM | No Comments | BREAKING STORY
Flames shot off the roof of Holy Name Cathedral this morning. More than an hour later, firefighters were still pouring water.

Fire Cmdr. Will Knight said the fire was located in the cockloft, or pitched area of the roof. He said he could not yet judge how severe damage was.

Up to a dozen fire trucks were on the scene of the extra-alarm blaze at State and Superior Streets. Officials said no one was injured, although some priests and nuns were inside the cathedral at the time.
The extent of the blaze was not known. It appeared to be located near an area that was undergoing renovation.



More


This is pretty sad. It was closed for a good amount of time last year after part of the ceiling fell, and reopened not that long ago. We visited when my Dad was doing RCIA because everyone in RCIA was presented to Cardinal George.

Holy Name Cathedral

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Catholic and politically conservative, I graduated with a BA in History (concentration in American) and Political Science. I'm between two parishes; one in Wisconsin that is fairly traditional, and one in Illinois that is fairly liberal. I teach CCD. I work in the food service industry, which basically means I'm working in fast food until I find a better job. I'd like to work for the church somehow. Right now I'm working on getting my teaching certification, although I'm unsure thats the correct path for me. This blog is as random as I am. I hope you enjoy.