Saturday, May 31, 2008

Oh Just Shut Up

I usually try to keep a positive tone on this blog, especially since I always figured it would look bad to see some really angry posts coming from a Catholic blog, but I just can't contain myself - Fr. Pfleger just shut up already.

I think I wrote about him a few months back, the last time that he said something stupid and it got national attention, and here he's gone and done it again.



He's gone and said so many stupid things now that even Cardinal George has told him basically to shut up. Now you know if I was in charge I would have said a lot more than he did, but luckily for all I'm not.

STATEMENT OF FRANCIS CARDINAL GEORGE, O.M.I.,
ARCHBISHOP OF CHICAGO
Friday, May 30, 2008

Statement of Cardinal Francis George concerning remarks of
Fr. Michael Pfleger about Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton during
an address at Trinity United Church of Christ on Sunday May 25, 2008

The Catholic Church does not endorse political candidates. Consequently, while a priest must speak to political issues that are also moral, he may not endorse candidates nor engage in partisan campaigning.

Racial issues are both political and moral and are also highly charged. Words can be differently interpreted, but Fr. Pfleger’s remarks about Senator Clinton are both partisan and amount to a personal attack. I regret that deeply.

To avoid months of turmoil in the church, Fr. Pfleger has promised me that he will not enter into campaigning, will not publicly mention any candidate by name and will abide by the discipline common to all Catholic priests.


Now the question is will Fr. Pfleger abide by his promise? Good question. My hope is that he has made so much trouble that when everything dies down a little bit he can be moved. Frankly, I don't know that he deserves a parish, maybe he needs an office job somewhere where he can spend the whole day stapling papers together.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Catholic and politically conservative, I graduated with a BA in History (concentration in American) and Political Science. I'm between two parishes; one in Wisconsin that is fairly traditional, and one in Illinois that is fairly liberal. I teach CCD. I work in the food service industry, which basically means I'm working in fast food until I find a better job. I'd like to work for the church somehow. Right now I'm working on getting my teaching certification, although I'm unsure thats the correct path for me. This blog is as random as I am. I hope you enjoy.