Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Cardinal George



Monsignor David Malloy kisses the ring of Pope Benedict XVI as he arrives at Andrews Air Force Base, Md., Tuesday, April 15, 2008. From left is Malloy; Bishop of Tucson Gerald Kicanas; Pope Benedict XVI; Cardinal Francis George, Archbishop of Chicago; and Vatican Secretary of State Cardinal Tarcisio Bertone.
(AP Photo/Gerald Herbert)


Watching the Pope's arrival yesterday I was all excited to see Cardinal George there, although I'm not quite sure why. Its not like they've never met before, but it was all kinds of awesomness to think Chicago was being represented.

Chicago is not on the pope's agenda, but Francis Cardinal George is among those who are hosting him.

The pope may be turning 81 Wednesday, but you'd never know from his stride and his smile. The new job may have made the former Joseph Ratzinger a new man.

"Our conversations used to be about doctrine, now he's talking about everything, more of a pastor, anxious to touch base with peoples' experience," Cardinal George said.

Cardinal George and Archbishop Gerald Kicanas, the vice president of the U.S. Bishops' Conference, both Chicagoans, greeted the Pope.

"To see his comfortability with people, his warmth and interest, you a sense of that immediately," Kicanas said.


Link

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Catholic and politically conservative, I graduated with a BA in History (concentration in American) and Political Science. I'm between two parishes; one in Wisconsin that is fairly traditional, and one in Illinois that is fairly liberal. I teach CCD. I work in the food service industry, which basically means I'm working in fast food until I find a better job. I'd like to work for the church somehow. Right now I'm working on getting my teaching certification, although I'm unsure thats the correct path for me. This blog is as random as I am. I hope you enjoy.