Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Shhhh, it's almost here

I saw this little nugget in the Chicago Tribune. Ugh, I could really use a break in the weather. The only nice day we've had was in January, and then it wasn't really nice because we were worried about tornados.

Shhhh, it's almost here
March 12, 2008

This will come as no surprise to the weather-weary multitudes around here. But since Dec.1 Chicago has gone no longer than two days without snow, sleet, slush, hail, rain or some unspeakable mix of the above. This little winter nugget was reported in Tuesday's Tribune by WGN-TV's Tom Skilling.

But Tom's sorry trend could end this week. No cause to break out the Coppertone, but still. This wet winter also has been cold. It has been gray -- among the cloudiest winters ever. Snowfall thus far -- and isn't that a menacing phrase? -- totals 53 inches. Since the start of the year, snow has fallen on 46 days, the most in any year since 1975.

The winter of 2007-2008 has been a character-builder, and it's not over. We can't officially peel winter's icy grip from our region for another two weeks, with the arrival of the vernal equinox March 20. Not that winters here pay much attention to such niceties as calendars, equinoxes or other imperatives. Even then, the nastiness may continue. Snow, cold and gloom don't usually respect their cue to exit in Chicago.

But we know change is coming -- and not just because daylight-saving time arrived Sunday. Step outside. There's a softness in the air that would have been unimaginable a week ago. The sky is ... not always gray. And there's not a drop of anything falling from it -- for the moment.


Link

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Catholic and politically conservative, I graduated with a BA in History (concentration in American) and Political Science. I'm between two parishes; one in Wisconsin that is fairly traditional, and one in Illinois that is fairly liberal. I teach CCD. I work in the food service industry, which basically means I'm working in fast food until I find a better job. I'd like to work for the church somehow. Right now I'm working on getting my teaching certification, although I'm unsure thats the correct path for me. This blog is as random as I am. I hope you enjoy.