Monday, September 17, 2007

The Clown Priest

Or should I say the priest for the clowns.

Lions, tigers and prayers ... oh, my
Circus' priest gives comfort to faithful

By Joseph Ruzich | Special to the Tribune
September 17, 2007

It might sound a little odd to say Rev. Charles Watkins conducts mass for a bunch of clowns -- but that's his job.

Several times a year Watkins, 62, leaves St. Cletus Parish in west suburban La Grange to say mass for circus employees under a big top. It doesn't faze him that sometimes lions roar and elephants scream during his mass, he said, that's just part of the job.

"He is very gracious," said Giovanni Zoppe of Zoppe Family Circus, which ended a five-day run Sunday at Dvorak Park in Chicago's Pilsen neighborhood. "He baptized my daughter in a little circus tent on a grass lot in Stone Park. It was a very special moment for me. He gives all of us the comfort of knowing that a priest is with us. It's not easy being in a traveling show."



Read More

1 comment:

Cathy said...

Very nice article.
Thanks.

About Me

My photo
Catholic and politically conservative, I graduated with a BA in History (concentration in American) and Political Science. I'm between two parishes; one in Wisconsin that is fairly traditional, and one in Illinois that is fairly liberal. I teach CCD. I work in the food service industry, which basically means I'm working in fast food until I find a better job. I'd like to work for the church somehow. Right now I'm working on getting my teaching certification, although I'm unsure thats the correct path for me. This blog is as random as I am. I hope you enjoy.