Monday, August 13, 2007

Zimbabwe

I received this article through one of my yahoo groups, and what caught my attention of course was the engaging first paragraph.

No one is surprised when a Roman Catholic bishop condemns the violence of war. But when was the last time you heard of one pleading for a military invasion?


True that, so I read on.

If you take a moment to read the whole thing you will find that it is about Zimbabwe and the appalling conditions that exist in that country today. I have read some before about the horrible conditions in Zimbabwe, but this column really brought it back to the forefront in my mind. Some of the stats mentioned in the column.

Eighty percent of Zimbabwe's adults are now unemployed. Life expectancy has plummeted to 36 years. The death rate for children 5 and under has soared 65 percent since 1990. While Mugabe's kleptocratic cronies and thugs drive expensive cars, build elaborate mansions, and amass fortunes by manipulating the currency market, ordinary citizens are reduced to unspeakable degradation. Schoolteachers sell themselves for sex in order to feed their children, the Times of London reports. A man in Rushinga was convicted of killing his 10-year-old son with an ax handle for eating four mice meant for the family's lunch. One-time accountants, bankers, headmasters, now refugees in South Africa, survive through menial labor or begging in the streets.


Help won't come of course.

The world will stand and watch, just as it has done with Darfur, as it has done many times before.

I did enjoy this comment from Jacoby though, how true.

A detachment of U.S. Marines could do the job on its lunch break.

1 comment:

Scott M. Frey said...

and in this case, the cause for military intervention is great, very great... defending those who cannot defend themselves...

About Me

My photo
Catholic and politically conservative, I graduated with a BA in History (concentration in American) and Political Science. I'm between two parishes; one in Wisconsin that is fairly traditional, and one in Illinois that is fairly liberal. I teach CCD. I work in the food service industry, which basically means I'm working in fast food until I find a better job. I'd like to work for the church somehow. Right now I'm working on getting my teaching certification, although I'm unsure thats the correct path for me. This blog is as random as I am. I hope you enjoy.