Sunday, August 26, 2007

Chinese bishop arrested: to silence Pope's message?

I came upon this article in a thread over at Phatmass. The persecution of Christians (and other religious people) in China is nothing new, particularly with Bishops. I know the late Cardinal Kung suffered greatly under the communist government, imprisoned for more than 30 years for refusing to betray his faith. But the final paragraph in this article struck me as shocking and amazing.

The 73-year-old Bishop Jia has spent more than 15 years in prison. In the past 3 years he has been arrested at least 11 times, usually to be interrogated, subjected to pressure to join the Patriotic Association, and eventually released. His last previous arrest was on June 5 of this year; he was released on June 22.


And I think one of the posters on phatmass made a very astute observation...

Unfortunately, the American public did not start to care about China until the recent food and product safety scares regarding pet food, toothpaste, and lead paint on toys.

I guess if it doesn't harm our kids or pets it will not make the news.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Catholic and politically conservative, I graduated with a BA in History (concentration in American) and Political Science. I'm between two parishes; one in Wisconsin that is fairly traditional, and one in Illinois that is fairly liberal. I teach CCD. I work in the food service industry, which basically means I'm working in fast food until I find a better job. I'd like to work for the church somehow. Right now I'm working on getting my teaching certification, although I'm unsure thats the correct path for me. This blog is as random as I am. I hope you enjoy.