Saturday, October 07, 2006

Our Lady of the New Millenium and Pro-Life Mass

Today I was a part of a mass and vigil held by the Helpers of God's Precious Infants in Chicago. The mobile Our Lady of the New Millenium was parked across from the abortion clinic. The main celebrant of the mass was Bishop John R. Manz.

The mass was held at Our Lady of Pompeii, which is a beautiful old Italian parish and is about a mild and a half away from the abortion clinic. We arrived early because we didn't know how long it would take to get there so I was able to take many pictures of the inside, which I'll include at the end. Sadly my hands aren't as steady as I'd like them to be so many of the pictures I thought looked ok are actually blurry and unusable.

Originally the plan was to walk as a group to the abortion clinic, but it was decided that we would all drive over there and meet. All things considered maybe that was best because there were older folks there, and also I don't know what kind of permits you wouild need from the city to do that.

The mass was quite nice, it was done partly (mostly) in English, but some was done in Spanish. I don't speak a word of Spanish, but I knew exactly what was being said, and it was beautiful. Bishop Manz gave a wonderful pro-life homily, too bad I don't have any way to share it with you guys since it was far better than anything I could write myself.


Bishop Manz

After mass we drove over to the abortion clinic and in the parking lot across the street was the Our Lady of the New Millenium statue.



In the reflection of the windows of the abortion clinic you could see the statue.



We gathered and prepared to begin our prayers. Before we started the rosary Julie who is the head of the Helpers of God's Precious Infants told us that at another one of the clinics in Chicago today one of the counselors told a woman going in for an abortion about what we were doing there. She wrote a note to the Bishop and left it for him with Julie telling him that today she decided to have her baby.

So we began the rosary. Inbetween decades they had people singing psalms and other hymns. He was singing in Spanish, but hymns were also done in English.



The first decade of the rosary was done in English, the second in Spanish, the third in Polish and the final two in English again. It was about this time that our parking meter was running out and we were out of change (and there was a police officer physically leaning on our meter waiting for it to run out) so we left to come home because we have other things that we need to do.

Some other images of the statue and the prayers.


Chicago PD protecting the abortionists from us (Yes, I understand they were there to keep the peace in general).






Bishop Manz about to lead the decade in Spanish



Here are some I took at Our Lady of Pompeii.







































2 comments:

Michelle said...

Hay
Iam back i dont get to use a computer much so i just wanted to thank you for the message u sent me I have only got 2 so thank you very much!! I love your pictures you r so good @ taking pictures!!!
MY SPELLING IS NOT GOOD

Anonymous said...

I just felt I should add that not everyone who has an abortion is Catholic, and maybe even not Christian. Who are we to say someone else's religion is any more wrong or right than ours? As long as it is legal in the eyes of the law, any interference is considered illegal and I am sure that whoever your God is won't look kindly on you when your time comes in the hereafter, for doesn't he say 'love thy brother as thyself'?

About Me

My photo
Catholic and politically conservative, I graduated with a BA in History (concentration in American) and Political Science. I'm between two parishes; one in Wisconsin that is fairly traditional, and one in Illinois that is fairly liberal. I teach CCD. I work in the food service industry, which basically means I'm working in fast food until I find a better job. I'd like to work for the church somehow. Right now I'm working on getting my teaching certification, although I'm unsure thats the correct path for me. This blog is as random as I am. I hope you enjoy.