Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Illegal Immigration Debate

This is something I've been meaning to write about for a while, but I always put it off because among some people its not popular, and in general I don't like being confrontational.

Why is it hard for some people to discuss illegal immigration without using any sort of sterotyping?

Being against illegal immigration - OK
Recognizing that many illegal immigrants in US are Mexican - OK
Making Mexican jokes or using sterotypes - Not OK

The discussion loses so much when it ventures into these sterotypes, and they make me uncomfortable. So cut it out folks, and get to discussing fairly and openly.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Catholic and politically conservative, I graduated with a BA in History (concentration in American) and Political Science. I'm between two parishes; one in Wisconsin that is fairly traditional, and one in Illinois that is fairly liberal. I teach CCD. I work in the food service industry, which basically means I'm working in fast food until I find a better job. I'd like to work for the church somehow. Right now I'm working on getting my teaching certification, although I'm unsure thats the correct path for me. This blog is as random as I am. I hope you enjoy.