Saturday, February 02, 2008

I Love Mass

This is one of the reasons why I don't really show my friends my blog, they'd think I was nuts. They probably do already, but that would really confuse them. How could she possibly like going to church? One of my coworkers once said to me, 'You like going to church? What do you like stale crackers and wine?', and another one of my friends can barely get through a discussion about the Catholic Church without some sort of pedophile comment or some dastardly thing the church has done to people (did you know the Catholic Church completely made up the whole no sex before marriage thing?). What can you say to that sort of thing? I can never come up with anything good so I usually just try to ignore it.

But the last few weeks at mass I sit there multiple times and think 'oh I love this part'. Then I realized I just love the mass. I like the Latin Mass too, and wish it was more widely available, but the modern mass done reverently can really be beautiful and moving too.

I usually like going to mass after my CCD class so the kids don't see me just leaving, but going Saturday evening is maybe better. I seem to have a hard time concentrating on mass right after class. I'm usually thinking about how things went, and what I could have done better. I try to pay better attention, but I have noticed that my mind is wandering so Saturday night is better.

1 comment:

Cathy said...

I feel your pain, sister.
We must work with the same people!

Get "Secret Diary of Elisabeth Leseur" if you can - it has helped me immensely with this problem.

About Me

My photo
Catholic and politically conservative, I graduated with a BA in History (concentration in American) and Political Science. I'm between two parishes; one in Wisconsin that is fairly traditional, and one in Illinois that is fairly liberal. I teach CCD. I work in the food service industry, which basically means I'm working in fast food until I find a better job. I'd like to work for the church somehow. Right now I'm working on getting my teaching certification, although I'm unsure thats the correct path for me. This blog is as random as I am. I hope you enjoy.