Sunday, February 01, 2009

Scholarships aim to help needy Catholic school students

These two schools are really close to my house. I pass St. Priscilla's every day on my way to work. This is really sad news, but I can certainly see how parents have problems keeping up with the tuition.

$1 million in scholarships aim to help needy Catholic school students

By Margaret Ramirez | Tribune reporter
January 31, 2009

Responding to jobless and cash-strapped parents, the Archdiocese of Chicago and the Big Shoulders Fund on Friday announced a $1 million emergency scholarship fund for Catholic school students.

At the same time, Catholic schools Supt. Sister Mary Paul McCaughey released news that two Catholic schools will close by the end of the year: St. Priscilla, 7001 W. Addison St., Chicago, and St. Beatrice, 4141 Atlantic Ave., Schiller Park.

The news comes as Catholic and private schools nationwide grapple with the recession that is forcing many parents to fall behind on tuition. Catholic school officials said some parents who have recently lost their jobs have been forced to transfer students to public schools in the middle of the school year.

Cardinal Francis George said the establishment of the emergency fund is needed in these tough times to help parents keep their children in Catholic schools.

"We have to try and keep that opportunity alive," the cardinal said.


More

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Catholic and politically conservative, I graduated with a BA in History (concentration in American) and Political Science. I'm between two parishes; one in Wisconsin that is fairly traditional, and one in Illinois that is fairly liberal. I teach CCD. I work in the food service industry, which basically means I'm working in fast food until I find a better job. I'd like to work for the church somehow. Right now I'm working on getting my teaching certification, although I'm unsure thats the correct path for me. This blog is as random as I am. I hope you enjoy.