Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Just Do Something

Esther posted this thought and I had to share it too.

I once stopped behind several cars in an intersection. The winter weather was icy cold and a strong arctic wind blew relentlessly. Ahead
of me a young woman stood alongside the street rubbing her bare hands together and dancing in place to keep warm. Beside her rested a sign that read, "I have a baby and no food." She was obviously crying, likely from the pain of the cold wind.

Homeless and unemployed people are a common sight in many of our larger cities, and most motorists drive by without offering
assistance. They have no doubt been taught that giving money fosters a dependent lifestyle, or the ready cash may be used to purchase
alcohol or another substance rather than the food it was intended for. Like me, they may have been taught that one should give to a
local charity or through one's church, as these institutions can help those in need far more effectively.

This, of course, is true, but I am reminded of the college students who encountered a homeless man on the sidewalk. One of the students took a couple of dollars from his wallet and handed it to the unfortunate stranger. His friend commented, "Why did you do that? He's just going to spend it on booze or drugs." The student answered, "Yeah...like we're not!"

As I waited for the light to turn, I felt conflicted about that young woman. Whether or not I should give money, she was obviously in need. And whether or not she actually had a baby really didn't seem to matter. I gave up guessing people's motives and analyzing their
stories long ago. It was cold. She was cold. And she obviously felt she had to be there.

What should I do? Give her money? What was best? As I wrestled with these questions, the window rolled down from the car in front of me and a hand shot out holding a warm pair of gloves. The driver took her own gloves off and gave them to the shivering woman. I saw the young woman mouth the words "Thank you" as a broad smile lit up her face.

As I debated, somebody else helped. As I hesitated, somebody else acted. As I tried to decide the BEST way to assist, somebody else
just did what she could. As I did nothing, she did something. I made myself a pledge that day to always do SOMETHING.

Whether it is big or small, just do something. Something is almost always better than nothing!

Inspired Unknown Author


This story immediately made me think of Matthew 25:35 - 40

35 For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you made me welcome,
36 lacking clothes and you clothed me, sick and you visited me, in prison and you came to see me."
37 Then the upright will say to him in reply, "Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you drink?
38 When did we see you a stranger and make you welcome, lacking clothes and clothe you?
39 When did we find you sick or in prison and go to see you?"
40 And the King will answer, "In truth I tell you, in so far as you did this to one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did it to me."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's a great post! I love it. :)


Speaking of "winter weather ... cold and a strong arctic wind"


I have a feeling that this winter is going to be early and brutal. Issit just me or has this been a very cool summer, with chilly temps arriving a bit earlier than usual?

About Me

My photo
Catholic and politically conservative, I graduated with a BA in History (concentration in American) and Political Science. I'm between two parishes; one in Wisconsin that is fairly traditional, and one in Illinois that is fairly liberal. I teach CCD. I work in the food service industry, which basically means I'm working in fast food until I find a better job. I'd like to work for the church somehow. Right now I'm working on getting my teaching certification, although I'm unsure thats the correct path for me. This blog is as random as I am. I hope you enjoy.