Thursday, February 15, 2007

Abortion in Music

I like to listen to music, but I wouldn't say that I'm really up and current on new music. I suppose a lot of it has to do with with the fact that I'd don't listen to the radio very often, and when I do its usually talk radio like Rush Limbaugh. I do have a lot of MP3s of music that I like and I usually just listen to that when I'm on the computer.

I was thinking about my previous entry on That's Love by Ricochet, and I realized that even with my somewhat limited taste in music, there are several songs about abortion, and are generally pro-life.

Usually the artists say that they aren't being political, and are just writing about how they feel, and thats fine. It just was so striking to me that they are out there, considering how taboo the subject is, and how being pro-life, or saying something that can be seen as pro-life can be an unpopular position, especially for someone in the in the entertainment industry.

The Freshman by the Verve Pipe

I remember this song from junior high or high school, and never really understood what it was about. I have read since then that it is about abortion. According to wikipedia, it was written because of the guilt that Brian Vander Ark had from bringing a girlfriend to an abortion clinic when he was younger.

Now I'm guilt stricken, sobbing with my head on the floor
Stop a baby's breath and a shoe full of rice


Lyrics

Brick by Ben Fold's Five

Thinking about this song is a lot like The Freshman, I remember it from way back when, but again didn't really know what it was about. This too is about abortion, and according to wikipedia again, it was written in response to guilt about a girlfriend's abortion.

Now she's feeling more alone
Than she ever has before


Lyrics


Can I Live? by Nick Cannon

I remember I was channel surfing and for whatever reason I stopped and happened to see this music video. Shortly after I began to read about it on various pro-life websites. This song is about Nick Cannon, and how his mom was contemplating abortion, but instead decided to give birth to him. This is a lot more obvious than the other two.

You see me in your sleep so you cant kill your dreams
300 Dollars thats the price of living what?
Mommy I dont like this clinic
Hopefully you'll make the right decision
And dont go through with the Knife incision
But it's hard to make the right move
When you in high school
How you have to work all day and take night school
Hopping off da bus when the rain is pouring
What you want morning sickness or the sickness of mourning


---

Your friends will look at you funny but look at you mommy
That's a life inside you look at your tummy


---

I love life
I love my mother for giving me life
We all need to appreciate life
A strong woman that had to make a sacrifice
Thanks for listening
Thanks for listening
Mama thanks for listening


Lyrics

Video

Happy Birthday...so make a wish by Flipsyde

This song is actually a little different since I actually first heard of it on lifesite.net. Its probably one of the saddest of the ones I've heard so far.

I think about it every year, so I picked up a pen.
Happy birthday, I love you whoever you would've been.


---

I got a million excuses, as to why you died.
And other people got their own reasons for homicide.
Who's to say it would've worked and who's to say it wouldn't have
I was young and struggling, but old enough to be a dad.
The fear of being my father has never disappeared,
I ponder it frequently while I'm sippin' on my beer.
My vision of a family was artificial and fake
so when it came time to create, I made a mistake.


Lyrics
Video on Youtube


Other Songs About Abortion

Abortion by Kid Rock (Caution for language)

I know your brothers and your sister and your mother too
Man I wish you could see them too


Lyrics


Water and Bridges by Kenny Rogers

I was young, so was she.
Life didn’t stay a mystery for very long…
We could do no wrong.
Then she called, said she was late.
So we took a little drive upstate an’ took care of that…
Yeah, just took care of that.
But now I’m lookin’ back at some of my decisions,
Now that it’s much too late to change…
How a father could have held his son.
If I could undo what’s been done,
But I guess everyone is living,
With water and bridges.


Lyrics


There are many more, and as you can see these are artists from different genres, expressing similar thoughts and feelings.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

awesome list!

I remember as a teen I listened to Madona sing about choosing to keep the baby in "papa don't preach"

and my fav at the time was the Sex Pistols song "Bodies" -caution for language

Barb Szyszkiewicz said...

In country music you have Tim McGraw's hit "Red Ragtop."

wilson said...

Well put together. Thanks.

FloridaWife said...

Interesting.

About Me

My photo
Catholic and politically conservative, I graduated with a BA in History (concentration in American) and Political Science. I'm between two parishes; one in Wisconsin that is fairly traditional, and one in Illinois that is fairly liberal. I teach CCD. I work in the food service industry, which basically means I'm working in fast food until I find a better job. I'd like to work for the church somehow. Right now I'm working on getting my teaching certification, although I'm unsure thats the correct path for me. This blog is as random as I am. I hope you enjoy.