Monday, July 10, 2006

Praying for the Leaders of Our Country

I saw an interview with Immaculee Ilibagiza the other day on EWTN with Raymong Arroyo. She spoke about her book Left to Tell: Discovering God Amidst the Rwandan Holocaust. She said a lot, and her story is amazing, especially her road to forgiveness. I have a hard time imagining myself finding forgivnesss in a situation like she was in. But there was one thing that really stood out to me.

She was saying how everyone hated the leader of Rwanda and wished (even prayed) him to die. But it was his death that ushered in the horror of the Rwandan genocide. Instead, she said that the people were unhappy with him should have prayed for him.

That stood out to me, because even though I don't wish harm on those I disagree with, I should be praying for them. Those that say nasty and evil things about President Bush should be praying for God to guide him. I support President Bush, but I should pray for him more often. I include him in my prayers at mass on Sunday, but maybe I should include him in my prayers every day. And I should add those who I disagree with too. I should also not pray that they will do what I want to be done, but instead I should pray that they do God's will.

Maybe thats a simple thought, but hearing Imaculee say it crystalized it for me in my mind, and I'm thankful that I was able to see at least part of the interview.

1 comment:

EC Gefroh said...

I recently started praying for President Bush daily. I still have a problem praying for those who verbally attack him. But I think I will starting today. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

About Me

My photo
Catholic and politically conservative, I graduated with a BA in History (concentration in American) and Political Science. I'm between two parishes; one in Wisconsin that is fairly traditional, and one in Illinois that is fairly liberal. I teach CCD. I work in the food service industry, which basically means I'm working in fast food until I find a better job. I'd like to work for the church somehow. Right now I'm working on getting my teaching certification, although I'm unsure thats the correct path for me. This blog is as random as I am. I hope you enjoy.