Sunday, June 18, 2006

Father's Day

Some of the Cbabes members wrote beautifully about the father's in their lives. As they wrote Father's can be biological, but also in deed if not by blood. And there are also spiritual fathers. I thought I would give writing about the 5 in my life.

Dad: Now you know someone loves you when they take care of you when you're a baby and are still looking out for you when you are 22. My Dad is just the best. He's always going out of the way to do stuff for me and our family. He does a lot for me, and I don't tell him enough how much I appreciate it. He's always there to loan me money when I'm a little short and want to go out with friends. He drives me to work so I don't have to take the bus (even though I often make him a little late). When I ask he reads my papers and helps me correct my stupid mistakes. He sends me articles throughout the day that he knows I would like to read. He always believes in me, even when I don't believe in myself. And most importantly even when I'm doing something stupid or ignorant he always loves me. Thanks Dad.

Fr. Fred: Fr. Fred passed away a couple months ago, but he embodied for me the spiritual father. As Father's are supposed to be the head of the household, so was Fr. Fred the head of our local spiritual family. He was always there with a kind word, a steady hand, and an important teaching. I don't know how the rest of the parish is doing without him, but we certainly have felt his loss.

Pope John Paul II and Pope Benedict XVI: By this time you've surely see where I'm going with this. Where Dad is our household head, and Fr. Fred was the head of our local family JPII, and B16 are the head of my larger spiritual family. John Paul II lead me and my 1.1 billion other family members in our faith for the first 21 years of my life (ok, some will make the case that the Pope is the leader for all Christians even if they don't recognize him, but thats another story all together and not a discussion for today). We are reaping the rewards of his pontificate now with the so-called John Paul II priests. When JPII passed away I was worried, but I have been very impressed with the love and care Benedict has shown to all of us. He has been so far a very good Holy Father.

God: Aha you say, now we have reached the conclusion, as I have done with the others now we have reached God. Father to all Christians, non-Christians, and to all creation. What can I say about God? You all already know and love him. God is good, God is loving, and God is forgiving - he is the model and all other Fathers should strive to be like him.

Well this is sort of anti-climatic, but this is the end.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Catholic and politically conservative, I graduated with a BA in History (concentration in American) and Political Science. I'm between two parishes; one in Wisconsin that is fairly traditional, and one in Illinois that is fairly liberal. I teach CCD. I work in the food service industry, which basically means I'm working in fast food until I find a better job. I'd like to work for the church somehow. Right now I'm working on getting my teaching certification, although I'm unsure thats the correct path for me. This blog is as random as I am. I hope you enjoy.